Word Limit: 1500-5000 words
Pay Rate: We are currently unable to offer payment for stories but published contributors will receive a free copy of Lucent Dreaming.
Genres: Any, as long as it accords with some of our preferred themes as seen below.
• Stories in which characters experience hope, wonderment and excitement
• Stories that are surreal or make us feel unsure about our reality
• Beautifully written stories that give us space to think, feel and dream
You may submit whatever you want, but certain themes and plot types are quite tiring to us, and stand a significantly smaller chance. You may, however, take this as a challenge to write one of them exceedingly well and convince us!
For an easier time, avoid:
• Zombies, vampires, werewolves, especially sexy ones
• Elves, dwarves, and other fantasy scenarios that come across as LOTR fan fiction
• Fan fiction
• Gratuitous gore/torture and other violence for the sake of violence
• Stories featuring a ragtag band of survivors wandering a post-apocalyptic wasteland
• Stories that hit you over the head with their ‘message’
• Excessively gloomy or negative stories
Please email submissions to email@example.com with SUBMISSION: STORY TITLE in the subject line.
Include your name, cover letter, and word count. Your cover letter should contain any publishing history, and anything about yourself you feel is relevant.
Submissions should be submitted as a .docx file and in standard manuscript format.
Please allow up to 3 weeks for a response before inquiring about the status of your submission.
Please only submit one story at a time. Wait until you’ve been accepted or rejected before sending us another story.
Although we do try to give feedback on many of the submissions we receive, if we’ve rejected a story previously, don’t submit it again unless we specifically asked you to–even if it’s been fixed up based on our suggestions. If you do submit it, we’ll reject it unread.
Please don’t send anything that is currently submitted elsewhere (simultaneous submissions). And please don’t submit stories that have been previously published in English, including stories you have published yourself, be it on your blog, or anywhere else.
By emailing us your story, you acknowledge that if your story is accepted, you are giving the Lucent Dreaming team:
the exclusive right first publish the story in print, the exclusive first right to electronically publish the story on this website, and
the right to republish the story in or in connection with Lucent Dreaming, including electronic or hard copy promotional material and printed compilations, provided that authorial credit is given in every instance of reproduction.
Lucent Dreaming licenses its published content (when modified, edited, presented, or formatted by Lucent Dreaming, i.e. our version of your work) as CC-BY-NC. If you have any questions relating to CC licensing, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org